Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Amazing Mountains… Amazing.

I was in Boulder a couple weeks ago and got this wild hair to climb a mountain.
You know what I mean.
It’s the same feeling runners get when it’s pouring down rain…. Gotta run.

Standing in downtown Boulder I could see a clear view of the Flat Irons.
I ran and got on my running shoes (I don’t travel anywhere without them) and got a lift to a park called Chataqua. It’s right at the base of the mountains.

I was amazed at how lousy I felt after the first mile… Being from the coast of Virginia and living at sea level certainly put me at a disadvantage, but the mountain was there… so I couldn’t stop.

The run turned into a jog and then to a hike… and at the end into a climb.

It was simply gorgeous. I could see the whole world up there.

I climbed to within 50 feet or so of the top of the first Flat Iron and had to stop.
I was to a point that unless I had someone with me and some climbing gear, it was going to be dangerous. So I sat down on a small ledge with the warm sun shining on my face and took in the mile high air.

It was thin and crisp.

Surprisingly the only wildlife I saw were some chipmunks on the trail… which was a breeze coming DOWN!

I jogged all the way back to the hotel and felt like a million bucks.
Amazing Mountains… Amazing.

No comments: