Thursday, September 09, 2004

Camping / Lost in the Woods

Camping was incredible.
We called Sherando Lake Camp Ground about 25-30 Miles out to make sure of directions on the approach... they said they were ALL FULL.
The suggested we try Cave Mountain Lake about 45 minutes away.. and it turned out better!
No crowds (60 tent sites and only 30 or so used).
Cave Mountain Lake was chilly water, but wonderful.
The first evening there was NO ONE at the lake... we swam and played like we were the only ones on the planet!
The lake was surrounded by mountains and thick forest... which is where we camped... walking distance away.
We pitched out tent right on the edge of a stream which my kids played in to hunt (and catch) craw-dads.
We ate most everyone of the little critters they caught (after boiling).
We hiked up a mountain ridge on the second day.
Since the campsite was directly at the base of the ridge, I told them all they could run ahead to the camp.
We broke up into 3 groups.. the kids had to burn some energy.
My wife, carrying our 2yo, followed them and then I was behind that... with our 4 year old.
When I caught up to the 'first' group (4 kids) and asked where 'Mommy' was I got dumb looks.. and concern from my teenager.
I grabbed the boys and headed back up the mountain looking for my LOST WIFE!
We searched for about an hour and headed back to camp.
She had inadvertently taken a side ridge down a separate canyon and gotten lost.
Luckily she followed the stream back to our campsite... sheesh.
She had taken a fall too, but wasn't too badly hurt.
This is the sort of thing you read about in the newspaper - "Woman and child - lost for weeks in the woods".
Thank God it didn't end like so many stories I've read!
All in all it was a great trip... even the Copperhead snake in the dark.
But that's a different story!
:)

No comments: