Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Flying Squirrel

We had a Christmas Party at our home this evening and one of the little kids that came over tugged on my wife's sweater and said, "Excuse me, you have a squirrel in your pantry."

My wife smiled and asked her to have one of our daughters get it... She figured it was just on of the kids playing around.

Turns out... It really was a squirrel in the pantry!
But no ordinary squirrel - it was a FLYING SQUIRREL!

I couldn't believe it.
It was so cute. It was tiny (must have been a juvenile) and looked more like the a hamster with it's buggy little eyes and had baggy skin along it's sides for 'flying/sailing'.

I didn't even know those things lived in Virginia!

I scooped it carefully into a box and put it out on the back porch. I slowly opened up the box and BAM... It exploded out like a true flying squirrel should! It stepped once on the box lid, once on the top of the wood railing and then it touched down waaaaaaay across the yard near a huge oak tree!

Too cool.


No comments: