Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Camping – Ate A Snake

We went camping in the Blue Ridge Mountain last weekend. It was awesome.
Gorgeous trees and hiking trails, streams and lakes.
We really had a great time.
My kids ran town to the nearby stream and jumped in for a swim while I set up the tend and got the campsite all ready.

It wasn’t 20 minutes they were back at the campsite carrying a snake.

My son had spotted it in the stream (only a few feet away) and threw a rock on it’s head… killing it dead.
I took this as an excellent opportunity to teach my kids about some of the greater things in life… eating snakes.

I showed them how to skin it, gut it, fry it, and eat it.
It wasn’t the biggest snake, so we each only got a few bites… but it was great!
It’s been a long time since I did that… a long time.
We didn’t keep the skin.. which would have been great.

Some critter in the woods is enjoying the entrails and skin right now.
:)

No comments: