Thursday, March 18, 2004

Chapped Lip Faux Pas

Cold weather tends to dry out my lips - nothing new here.
YET... when it comes to chapped lips...
Two things I've observed really crack me up.

One is the little kid that licks his/her lips... the skin for an inch around their mouth turns bright red and gets an even worse chap which they continue to lick.
One kid I saw had a chapped face as far as her tongue could reach - from nose to tip of chin and just as wide.
I nearly laughed out loud as the kid stood there coating her lips with saliva every few seconds.
Poor thing.
I can't say they didn't teach her correctly... my kid did it once this winter too and I was always reminding him to use the Carmex.

Second thing that cracks me up happened to me just today.
Here's the scenario:
Chapped lips.
Carmex in my pocket but not being used often enough.
My lip had a little flake of skin flapping up and irritating me.
So I reached up and got a gorilla grip on the little flap and pulled.
I literally filleted my lip.
The flap opened up what I believe was an artery and hurt so bad I yelped.
The stinging and bleeding lasted a good 10 minutes... and did I learn my lesson?
No.
I do this every winter 2 or 3 times.

Take my advice.
Keep some lip balm on ya... and use it.
And when you get tempted to tug at that little irritating flap of chap... DON'T!
Instead... pull out a few nose hairs or pour lemon juice on a hang nail... There is no blood loss and you recover quicker!
:)

No comments: