Monday, February 09, 2004

Mind in the Gutter

I was running around this past weekend like a head with my chicken cut off... and finally found a block of time totally free.
I sat for a short time and thought of all the possibilities... bike ride, nice long run, clean more in the garage, play more with the kids...
I had spend all last Saturday in the garage... so that was out.
I had spend all morning playing with the kids... so that was out.
I had already gone for a run.
The chain is broken on my bike... I guess I could fix it...
So what to do?
Then it hit me.
I am sick and tired of cleaning out the gutters on our house.
The gutters are all dented up from Hurricane Isabel that came thru here...
So I did it.
I dragged the gutters off the house!

The task wasn't as easy as you would at first think.
The one over the front of the garage came off pretty nicely and without incident.. but the 2 story eave across the full front of our home was a trick.
I climbed up onto the top of the roof... pulled out a few of the 6"+ nails that hold the gutter to the fascia.
Then I tied a rope around the gutter, up over the house and to a tree.
I did this to the other end [40 feet away] and then pulled out all the nails.
I simply went to the back yard and slacked the rope slowly until the gutter laid gently on the ground.
It was great.
I tell ya... when you're a loner at heart you tend to find ingenious ways to pull stuff off without ever having to ask anyone to help!
:)

No comments: