Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Jerry Wegener – July1961–Oct 2005

USNavy Seal, Friend, fellow heir to the kingdom of heaven.

I can still see his happy face across the table at Christmas time last year.
Crazy to think he is gone.
I just got home from the funeral.
When I heard the news of his death it didn’t seem real. I wanted to call him on the phone. I still want to.
I hugged his wife and kids and will see them next week.
I saw Jerry one last time and it was clear he wasn’t in his HUGE body anymore.
He professed Christ as his Lord and Savior and I know he is face to face with his maker right now. He was a great husband, dad and friend.
Hundreds of people are going to miss him.

Seems like only yesterday we were carrying a 300 pound inflatable raft on our heads in HELL WEEK… That’s when the instructor wasn’t IN the boat.
Hah.
He and I went thru BUD/S (USNavy Seal Training) in Coronado California together back in the 80’s. Class 131. We laughed recently at the hallucinations we had when deprived of sleep for a week and all the crazy things we did together… and now he’s off to a better place.

Good Bye my friend – I loved you like a brother and am going to miss you.

This was a little wake up call for me to dig-in and really spend quality time with friends HERE and NOW for we never know when it’s our time to go.

When your number comes up… you check OUT… and you check IN to eternity.

1 comment:

Luciérnaga said...

Can anybody tell me what happened to Gerry? I knew him when he worked at the State Department around 1999/2000. I know he came back from overseas ready to start a new life, and I spoke to him when he was in Va Beach a few years ago, but then I heard today that he killed himself in a prison cell and I can't believe it. I really like the guy and can't believe he is gone.