Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Rite of Passage

It's high time I put some thought into this.
My eldest son is about to turn 13... a teenager!
I can't believe it's been thirteen years.
Thoughts come to mind about the passage of Boy to Man.

Different cultures do it differently... like a show I watched when I was a kid about natives that had to tie vines to their ankles and jump from the tops of trees. They had to TOUCH the ground with their hand before the vine jerked them back up again. If they didn't touch... it didn't count. [Likewise if they miscalculated it and touched with their whole head, they were instantly taken from the gene-pool]. It what the very first bungy jumping I believe.
Other cultures have their kid go out on wild adventures alone and return "A Man".
Yet others take the kid behind closed doors and perform 'rituals' with/to them.

In today's 'rich culture' most kids kinda just grow up, often without rites and ceremonies... and even more often, without any guidance whatsoever.
Somewhere in the late teens they look around and wonder where to go or what to do... and in their 20's they look back and say... "I guess I'm here."... not knowing if they have actually arrived, since most of the trail markers are gone.
Some kids have a party where they are patted on the back, but I think real guidance is often overlooked.
Other kids get blistering drunk or high or pregnant or locked-up with their friends... or worst of all their ritual, their rite of passage is nothing more than 'FINALLY LEAVING HOME'.
It's more of a departure than an arrival.
In some families both the parents AND the kids look forward to it.

I certainly don't know all the answers... but I see much room for improvement on the way this is typically handled... or NOT handled as the case may be.

I see I need to give this some special thought.

No comments: