Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Ducks and Trucks

I saw the second worst thing I've ever seen this morning.
I was sitting at an intersection [front car in my lane] and watched a family of ducks attempt to cross the road... right in the middle of the intersection.
But that's not what I first saw.
It started when I first pulled up and glanced around... I spotted something tiny and frantic in the intersection and pretty quickly recognized it as a tiny duckling.
Trucks and cars were wooshing over it and the tires were close every single pass.
It wandered back and forth between lanes and I keep squinting closing my eyes when cars passed, 'cause I really didn't want my eyes to witness the impact/squoosh.

Stuff like that just doesn't go away... It's permanently imprinted in your mind and plays back later in life.

Anyway... it was then that I spotted another one, coming around the end of the median... just as panic stricken. My eyes quickly flashed from one to the other, wondering which was going to get it first... then I saw the mother duck. She had some tiny frightened ducklings under her feet tripping her up as she waddled toward the edge of the road... all the while looking back at the other two...

The idiot behind me honked and I noticed it was my turn to dodge ducks, which I did and drove off toward my office with a feeling of helplessness and hope...

I did let my mind paint a pretty picture of a safe family of ducks in the hearby park quacking a soft "Thank you God" as they dusted off. Never know I guess. I like my possible ending.

I did also wonder if there were people out there just as frantic and helpless as life is maddeningly running them over.... perhaps I can possibly be of more help than I was to the ducks, as I drove by....
Something about a good samaritan comes to mind...

No comments: