Monday, May 10, 2004

Copperhead

There is currently a fine specimen of a venomous snake under our wood pile.

Yesterday afternoon, a nice sunshiny day, my son went out in the backyard to play.
He came running back to the house yelling "SNAKE... SNAKE", which is translated to "Get out here and check this out guys!" in my family.
A small dust cloud followed us all to the backyard and sure enough there was a snake.
He had hearly stepped on it while throwing a ball.

The snake was clearly an adult Copperhead and was slowly slithering toward our wood pile.
I took a stick and gently lifted the snake up, but he slithered slowly off the stick before I could toss him into the woods behind our house.
He found refuge thru some logs and dissapeared from sight.

I'm glad Copperheads are relatively non-aggressive snakes, but I still don't like having a venomous one in the backyard.
The bite isn't usually fatal, but is extremely painful.
I'm not sure what it would do to our 2 and 4 year old kids!?

We're gunna restack the wood pile just OFF our property, in the woods, later this week... I'll let you know what we spook up!
:)

No comments: