Monday, May 03, 2004

Killer Geckos

My kids have inherited two Leopard Gecko's from their cousin... [thank you very much if you read this].
The lizards are a pair.
They procreated a while back [I didn't watch] and laid an egg the other night... right under the heat lamp!
It was dry and looked like a huge white raisin by the time I noticed it in the morning! It was technically my fault for leaving the light on all night and not getting them a 'proper' breeding box... sheesh.
The other day there was a nasty fight.
I figured that was normal. How am I supposed to know?!
It seems fairly normal in the human world, so why not lizards?!
At first I thought my leopard gecko's were just being a little aggressive during mating.
The male was biting on the females neck and back... all seemed fairly normal... until I looked in the cage the next morning!
He had bitten a fairly sizable hole in her tail and chewed off her left hind foot!!!
I hate it when that happens.
It's all healing quite well now, but there for a while I really thought I was going to lose the little female.
Looking back and trying to figure out what happened and what could have caused it... I can only guess it was a fight over food.
I usually feed them 'super worms' which are a very cool giant meal worm looking critter. Every now and then I toss in some crickets, which incidentally the hate and can't catch very well. The crickets also keep me up for a week after I toss them in there... they usually die rather than get eaten. This weekend I tossed in some 'wax worms'.
This turned out to be a very good idea... the geckos are eating them like candy!
The eat one and then sit back licking their lips [or what would be lips], enjoying the moment... and then they go after another one.
All is well for now in the tank, though I am doubtful the foot will ever grow back [like some lizard tails will do].
:)

No comments: