Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Mower Murderer

My old mower was nearing the end of its useful life.
I'm pretty good with mechanical things, so when it started giving me some trouble [not running for more than a minute at a time] I decided to remove the carburetor and clean it.
All went well.
Its incredible how simple yet refined the inside of the little carburetor is.
I cleaned it so that it could pass for a new one, placed it back on the machine and STILL had the same problem.
My lovely wife, bless her heart, waves over the next door neighbor [mechanic] and says we're having lawn mower trouble.
Mr. Redneck has read my mind somehow and blurts out... "Ya got a screwdriver and a crescent wrench?"He said it like I should have had it in my pocket and looks off into the street since I had to go to the work bench to get it.
Before I go further, I'll say.. he is a nice guy, and has good intentions... just don't ever get him mad at ya.
Rednecks are like elephants, not necessarily because of their memory, but more because of the swarming flies.
Anyway, he takes the screwdriver and cranks the set-screws all over the place and then takes the crescent wrench and starts banging on the side of my carburetor.
It took me a second to stop him since he couldn't hear because of all the banging.
He did end up using the crescent to open the carburetor up and monkey with the insides like he was looking for keys or a rock or something to fall out.
I told him I had cleaned it and it was probably something else... but he looked off at the street again like my suggestions were offensive to his master mechanic mind.

I'll shorted this story by saying he stumbled on a solution that worked - forcing the spring-loaded throttle open by wedging the screwdriver into the exhaust housing.
He said, "There ya go.... jest pull the screwdriver out when yer dun mowin'."
Later that evening I found the cable was simply slacking because of a bend in it's routing... that would have been the easy solution.
But there is no REST for the WEARY... the carburetor now leaks like a sieve due to the housing not fitting properly because it has a bunch of dents in it.
Go Figure.
I told my wife to please not invite neighbors to touch anything on our property anymore.
:)
... oh... and I bought a new mower yesterday... since the old one was on it's last leg... or wheel anyway, before it was murdered.

No comments: